INFECTION CONTROL ANNUAL STATEMENT 2018
The annual statement will be generated each year.
It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and action taken (these will be reported in accordance with our Significant Event procedure
- The annual infection control audit summary and actions undertake
- Control risk assessments undertake
- Details of staff training (both as part of induction and annual training) with regards to infection prevention & control
- Details of infection control advise to patient
- Any review and update of policies, procedures and guidelines.
Easthampstead Surgery Lead for Infection Prevention /Control is Mrs.Jacquie Keeling, HCA
This team keep updated with infection prevention & control practices and share necessary information with staff and patients throughout the year.
In the past 12 months) there have been no significant events that related to infection prevention & control.
An Infection control audit is undertaken every month, to ensure the Surgery is kept clean and to minimise infection.
Regular risk assessments are undertaken to minimise the risk of infection and to ensure the safety of patients and staff. The following risk assessments related to infection prevention & control have been completed in the past year and appropriate actions have been taken:
- Provision and cleaning of toys. Due to flu being around, all toys have been removed from the surgery.
- Control of substances hazardous to health (COSHH). Data sheets are current
- Disposal of clinical waste is now tied via swan-necking and cable ties
- Healthcare associated infections (HCAIs) and occupational infections no HAI have been reported
- Sharps injury No sharps injuries have been reported
- Use of personal protective clothing/equipment Gloves and aprons are appropriately used
- Risk of body fluid spills. Should a sample or blood be spilt there are spllillage kits on site
- Legionella risk assessment an assessment is carried out annually and water temperatures checked monthly
All new members of staff who have joined Easthampstead Surgery.in the past 12-months have received infection control and hand-washing training.
100% of the Practice Clinical staff completed their annual infection prevention & control update training via Blue Stream Academy.
100% of the Practice non-clinical staff completed their annual infection prevention & control update training via Blue Stream Academy
Infection Control Advice to Patients:
Patients are encouraged to use the alcohol hand gel/sanitiser dispensers that are available throughout the Surgery.
There are leaflets/posters available in the Surgery on:
- MRSA - Noroviru
- Chickenpox & shingles
- Influenza viruses and the need for the influenza vaccinations
- The importance of immunisations (e.g. in childhood and in preparation for overseas travel
- Recognising symptoms of TB
Policies, procedures and guidelines.
Documents related to infection prevention & control are reviewed in line with national and local guidance changes and are updated 2-yearly (or sooner in the event on new guidance).